SquashTalk > College Squash > Bates take Maine Crown over Bowdoin
Bates Sweeps Bowdoin to Retain the "Maine Cup"
Jan 24, 2010, by Ron Beck © 2010 SquashTalk.com , Independent News; SquashTalk LLC
Bates Women and Men Both Defeat Bowdoin
SEE ALSO: All Decade Men's College Team by SquashTalk
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College women's squash team blanked rival Bowdoin 9-0 in Brunswick on Saturday afternoon. The Bates women (12-5, 5-2 NESCAC) are 13-3 against Bowdoin since 2000.
While the women were winning, the No. 11 nationally ranked Bates College men's squash team defeated No. 15 Bowdoin 7-2 in a NESCAC match Friday night at the Bates Squash Center. It is Bates' 15th straight win against its rival, a streak dating back to 2002. Bates also wins the CBB series over Colby and Bowdoin for the ninth consecutive season.
In women's play, Bates first-year Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philips, Barbados) dropped the first two games of her match at the No. 1 position, but came back to defeat Lauren Gesswein 3-2. Senior Hannah Laverty (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) of Bates, playing the No. 2 spot, was the only other Bates player to drop a game in the match, winning 3-1.
The Bobcats raised their record to 11-5 overall and 5-2 in conference play, while the Polar Bears dip to 5-5 overall, 2-3 in the NESCAC.
In Men's action, winning in 3-0 sweeps for Bates over Bowdoin were senior Kush Mahan (Kalamazoo, Mich.) at the first spot, sophomore Bobby Burns (Greenwich, Conn.) at No. 4 and first-year R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) at No. 8. Gutting out 3-2 decisions for the Bobcats were junior Nick Echeverria (Washington, D.C.) at No. 5 and junior Dae Ro Lee (Yongin, South Korea) at No. 6.
Bowdoin won its points at the second (David Funk) and ninth (Andrew Hilboldt) spots in the lineup.
Bates 7, Bowdoin 2
1. Mahan, Kush (Bates) def. Higgins, Palmer (Bowdoin) 11-9, 13-11, 11-7
2. Greenberg, Jordan (Bates) def. by Funk, David (Bowdoin) 11-13, 11-9, 12-10
3. Katz, William (Bates) def. Bernard, Andrew (Bowdoin) 10-12, 11-6, 11-6 11-6
4. Burns, Robert (Bates) def. Cipriano, Peter (Bowdoin) 11-9, 11-8, 11-6
5. Echeverria, Nicholas (Bates) def. Makhija, Arun (Bowdoin) 11-8, 10-12, 9-11, 11-9, 12-10
6. Lee, Dae Ro (Bates) def. Madan Mohan, Rahul (Bowdoin) 6-11, 8-11, 11-6, 11-9, 11-6
7. Williams, Patrick (Bates) def. Ha-Ngoc, Thai (Bowdoin) 6-11, 11-6, 11-4, 11-6
8. Keating, R.J. (Bates) def. Fantini, William (Bowdoin) 11-8, 11-5, 11-3
9. Bedell, Eric (Bates) def. by Hilboldt, Andrew (Bowdoin) 9-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-7
(10.) Kourides, Nicholas (Bates) def. Takesian, Barrett (Bowdoin) 11-9, 9-11, 11-1, 11-8
Bates 9, Bowdoin 0
1. Gesswein,Lauren (Bowdoin) def. by Parris,Cheri-Ann (Bates) 11-13,5-11,11-8,11-8,11-4
2. Warner,Elizabeth (Bowdoin) def. by Laverty,Hannah (Bates) 11-3,11-1,6-11,11-8
3. Schetman,Elizabeth (Bowdoin) def. by Roller,Whitney (Bates) 11-4,11-3,11-9
4. Wlodarczyk,Monica (Bowdoin) def. by Neal,Maura (Bates) 11-3,11-7,11-8
5. Cao,Bonnie (Bowdoin) def. by Bragg,Alison (Bates) 11-3,11-0,11-3
6. Peacock-Villada,Alexandra (Bowdoin) def. by Cabot,Stephanie (Bates) 11-1,11-5,11-1
7. Boyce,Katherine (Bowdoin) def. by Hogeland,Anna (Bates) 11-5,11-8,11-7
8. Cannell,Louisa (Bowdoin) def. by Dorison,Liza (Bates) 11-2,11-0,11-3
9. Nassief,Isabel (Bowdoin) def. by Maciewicz,Morgan (Bates) 11-4,11-5,11-2
(10.) Woo,Kathryn (Bowdoin) def. by Russell,Emily (Bates) 11-3,11-4,11-8